Friday, September 16, 2022

Let's move it, move it

Our lives have become increasingly comfortable physically compared to our ancestors. We don't have to constantly move for food or live in constant danger of being attacked by predators as humans have managed to put themselves at the top of the food chain. However, this all came with a cost, our lives have become more sedentary, we move less, and day by day it is becoming lesser and lesser. We move so little that most of us have to join a gym or include some regimental exercise routine in our day-to-day lives to get that required dose of physical activity. Joining the gym is easy, but regularly going to the gym is not, planning to exercise is easy, but doing it every day is not. This is why we all plan but fail to execute, then, plan again, but again fail to execute, and this cycle continues. I was trapped in this cycle. 

Once I join any gym, I go regularly. However, for me, the big challenge is to find a gym close to my apartment as I am not an enthusiastic driver. It is hard to find a gym that is open when I want to go and also reasonably priced as I don't need any fancy stuff. Rarely any gym used to fit these criteria. Also, I think that one does not need to join any gym or any other club to remain fit. Hence, I started to have my own exercise plan. There is only one routine, do it every day, no fixed time, no fixed routine, no fixed place, just move. I feel the biggest hurdle to being physically active is that we don't move. Many of us have desk jobs, we either drive or take public transport, we watch TV sitting on a couch or chair, and we do most of the stuff where little or no movement is required. Therefore, I feel it is important to move, no matter how, when, and where, just move. 

I plan to do at least 30 minutes of physical activities every day. This can be walking, skipping on the spot, weights, yoga, stretching, dancing, or a combination of any of these activities. There is no set routine, it depends on how I feel and what I want to do on that day, I just need to do that every day. No breaks, unless there is a compelling reason to take a break (like travel or sickness). This has helped me a lot. First, I don't have to join any gym to remain physically active. Second, I can do my exercise any time of the day, so, it is flexible, it is not like after some time I cannot do it as the place is closed. Finally, I can choose my routine and set my own daily targets. For everyone who is struggling to remain physically active, my suggestion is just to start moving, regularly, diligently, and with intent. Include physical activities in your daily routine, for example, walking instead of driving, or exercising while watching TV, rather make a rule, your first hour of TV watching will include at least 30 minutes of physical activity of your choice. 

If you struggle to find a time slot for your exercise, don't keep exercise as a separate task, club it with something that you love to do or you have to do. Make your exercise a part of any daily activity, like work, watching TV, or talking on the phone, so that your exercise happens while you perform that activity. Mix a variety of physical activities so that you don't get bored with your routine. Include things that you enjoy, if you like to dance, pair it with aerobics, if you like yoga, club it with weights, and so on. Start with small and reasonable goals. The goals that are achievable for your age and physical abilities. Once you get into the habit of achieving those goals, then, gradually ramp up the speed and time that suits you. Don't start with a lofty target to show off, that will only make you feel frustrated and dejected after the first week. If you have time, read about the research related to the effect of movement on our general well-being. The research suggests that movements affect almost every system of our body, mental as well as physical. The best physical activities are where we also involve our mind, this gives us a wholesome workout. So, friends, let's move it, move it. Let's make our general well-being a mission. 

Thank you for reading and please share your views on this topic. 

Vinay can be reached at thevinay2022@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment