Sunday, February 6, 2022

Lata Mangeshkar- a feeling that will live forever

Lata Mangeshkar, the most celebrated singer of the Indian film industry died on 5th February 2022. Personally, for me, her voice and many of her songs mean a lot, those songs are therapeutic for me, they calm me, give emotional support when I need it, provide immense joy, help me to stay focused, give me hope, and stay with me wherever I go. I also know very well many controversies and facts that are not so pleasant about her life, I also know about her political and ideological leanings that don't match at all with my ideological leanings, I have read and researched a lot about Lata Mangeshkar, the person, I was once her devotee and worshipped not only her voice but her personality as well. Ultimately, I learned to differentiate art from the artist. For me Lata Mangeshkar is not just a person, Lata Mangeshkar is that magical voice that enchants me every time I listen to songs sung by that voice. That voice comes through a person, but that voice is not that person but it is a feeling, a feeling that is going to last with me forever. People come and go, and people have good and bad characteristics or controversies associated with them but beautiful and soothing feelings are pure and live forever. 

It is not that all songs sung by Lata are immortal, and it was not only her voice that made those songs great, Those songs were really well written and composed, lyricists and music composers deserve equal credit for those songs. However, it is also true that many of those songs were composed because those lyricists and music directors knew that only Lata could pull it off. Lata Mangeshkar could not make a bad song great just by her singing, but she definitely could make a good song not just great but immortal by her singing, there are many songs like that, ask any Hindi and Marathi film music lover. 

I address that voice as "Lata," not Lata didi or Latajee because that voice is not 92 years old, songs with that voice are still as fresh and enchanting as they were when they were just released, they will never age, get old or die. Lata Mangeshkar, the person is no more, but Lata "the voice" is very much here and going to be here as long as music exists on this planet. Lata is with us there is no saying goodbye to that Lata, that voice cannot leave us, that feeling cannot leave us, and for that, I am thankful to the person Lata Mangeshkar, thank you for everything, whatever you gave is more than enough for us to survive. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment